Saturday, March 28, 2009

2580 Miles 2 year maintenance


Today I worked on getting the Raleigh Grand Prix in shape for the good weather riding. I ride year round so I figured it would be good to do this work when spring starts. I will be able to start my morning fitness rides on April 13 when civil twilight will be at about 6:00 am.
Anyway, I have over 2500 miles on the bike so I decided to replace the chain, all cables and the brake pads. I also removed and greased every bolt on the bike. I also took apart the derailleur sprocket wheels and greased them. The lower wheel was really dry and rusty in the bearing hosing and was making a squeaking noise.
I first took off everything on the bike like lights, computer etc.
I then replaced the chain. I purchased the chain from Nashbar for $11.99. It comes with a quick link which will make it easier to degrease my chain in the future.
I then replaced all 4 cables ( 2 gear and 2 brake). I used Alligator PTFE Stainless Cables from PricePoint at $4.98 each.
The old brakes were pretty worn.
I then replaced the brake pads. I actually had to replace the whole cartridge pad assembly because the original Tektro brake pads were not the cartridge type. I use Alligator Road Cartridge Brake Shoes from PricePoint at $8.98 each set.

All during the work I washed the bike with an orange spray cleaner.




I then took the bike for a 18 mile test ride. Everything worked really smoothly. I did have to do a minor adjustment on the rear derailleur to get rid of some chain noise when in the largest wheel sprocket.

No comments: